Sunday, November 22, 2009

Welcome Home Izzy!


Meet Izzy... our new fur baby. The above photo was posted on Minnesota Sheltie Rescue. How could I possibly resist? I mean, really, is she not just adorable?

This beautiful little girl was abandoned at a farm and forced to fend for herself. I can't imagine the kind of person(s) who would do such a thing. So incredibly sad.

Her given name in rescue was Liza, but her foster mom called her Izzy and we liked that, too. So we call her Izzy, Izzy Belle, Liza, Liza Belle, Izzyboo, Princess Izzy... ok, you see where I'm going with this. ;)

Here's here profile...

Liza

Liza came into rescue in rough shape. Her coat was badly matted, and she even had a wire tangled in the mats. But after some TLC and some much needed veterinary care, she looks great, feels even better, and is ready to meet her forever family. She’s cute as can be and social, and a real charmer! She will quickly draw you in with her adorable face and delightful personality.

AGE/SEX: 4-6 years, female
HEIGHT/WEIGHT: 16" and 24 lbs.
TEMPERAMENT: Liza is a friendly gal who likes people and will greet you with her little tail wagging. If approached too quickly, she will move away but if left to greet people on her own, she warms right up. She likes to sit near people and watch them closely. Liza enjoys attention and petting, and looks forward to a home of her own where she will have plenty of both.
FENCE: Preferred for her safety, as she does have a herding instinct and Shelties are a flight risk. We may consider a home without a fence, but only if the family is committed to always keeping her on a leash for her lifetime.
OTHER DOGS: Yes, but she prefers they stay put quietly :). If they move around or bark, her herding instinct shows through and she wants to control their behavior, which can result in scuffles. She really shows no interest in playing with the other dogs in her foster home. Liza enjoys attention and would like to be the only dog in her forever home so she can soak up all the love she deserves.
CATS: Liza gets along with cats and is respectful of them.
LEASH MANNERS: Liza walks well on a leash without pulling, and is a nice walking companion.
HOUSETRAINED: Liza is housetrained and has had no potty accidents in her foster home.
CRATE TRAINED: Liza loves her crate, though will bark initially when we leave the house.
OBEDIENCE TRAINING: No formal training at this time. Liza responds to sit and lie down on command. She is smart and would do well with positive training methods, either at home or in a formal setting. Minnesota Sheltie Rescue can provide class recommendations.
KIDS: Unknown-no kids in her foster home. We think she would do well with older, respectful children.
CAR RIDES: Liza rides beautifully in the car in her crate.
ACTIVITY LEVEL: Liza has a relatively low energy level, preferring to relax in the house and in her fenced in yard, watching the activity going on around her. She does get excited and bark occasionally. She likes to chew on bones but doesn’t play with toys or balls.
BARKING: Low for a sheltie. Liza will bark when we first leave the house and if something exciting is going on outside the window.
HEALTH ISSUES: Liza had an abscessed tooth removed, has been treated for an ear infection, and completed treatment for Lyme disease when she came into rescue. Though she tested positive for Lyme, she showed no signs, and most dogs never have any related health issues. No other known health issues.
Liza is a very sweet and affectionate girl, and a very easy dog to have around. She is just a delight, and will make a special person very happy!


We went down to Rochester, MN to meet her and it was love at first site. She is so calm and just a bit shy, but she warms up and really likes attention and pets. Her foster mom, Donlie, was WONDERFUL and we could tell that Izzy really loved her and felt safe with her. It was hard to take her away, but we know we will love her so very much and she will love us, too.

She was chauffeured to her forever home (with us!) yesterday evening by a very caring and sweet MNSR representative, Susan. They are truly a wonderful organization and want to find the best homes for the Shelties in their care. We are blessed to have been given this gift!

We were all a bit nervous. After all she has been through, we didn't want to stress her out more than necessary so we sort of let her do her own thing... but I couldn't keep my hands off her. I just wanted to snuggle her and kiss her and eat her all up. Scotty had a card game to go to that he had committed to before we knew we'd get her so he had to leave. Kristofer was spending the night at his friends house (he drove there himself! -OMG!) so it was just me, Izzy and Sundae kitty.

I fed her her dinner at 6PM and then we went out for a potty. She's so SMART. She's perfect on the leash and didn't hesitate at all. Just did her thing and then wanted to go back in. Poor little sweetie... I think she had enough outdoors time being a stray. :(

We came in and snuggled a bit and stared at each other. She enjoyed being under the dining room chairs where she could see what was going on but be cautious, too. She'd wander out and look at me and I'd call her and she'd come. She even jumped up into my lap where I got to hold her and get kisses. I just wanted to cry. It was WONDERFUL!

About 8 PM she finally settled into her crate. Her foster mom sent us home with a blanket that was in her crate there and I really think that helped her feel comfy. She rested for about 45 mins and then came out for some more snuggles and hugs.
We had another potty break before bed and then turned in for the night.

She was so good. She slept in her crate most of the time I think. We keep the door open so she can come and go as she wants. I didn't sleep too well cause I kept listening for her little jingley tags. About 5:45 AM she woke up and I was so happy. I got up and gave her morning kisses and then fed her her breakfast. After a potty break, we went back to bed. When I got up at 8Am, she was laying oh so cute in the living room where she could watch the bedroom. Her little waggly tail is such a wonderful greeting.

This morning, we left her at home safely in her crate while we made a quick trip to Fleet Farm to choose a bed and get her dog food and treats. Scotty picked out some special treats to give her from just him so they can bond. Since I've spent the most time with her so far and will be home with her all day it will be a bit trickier for him. She is VERY treat motivated though. I'm sure it will take no time for her to bond with him. He's going to take over her daily feeding as well so she'll learn to trust him. Besides he is so loving, too.

Today we are going to just take it easy and hang out. I should run out to Petco and get Crickets for the Fire Bellied Toads... that's another story! Those little cuties need to eat, too. :)

More Izzy pics and Izzy happenings to follow. Stay tuned.

Hugs,
Dana


2 comments:

Tracy said...

Oh! Oh! Oh! I teared up reading this. What a lucky doggy to have you. I love happy endings. And Princess Izzy Wizzy Bellie Boo Boo lived happily ever after...

Tracy said...

I hope all is going well with your new baby. Merry Christmas to you! ♥