They have a few apple trees in their yard and they are LOADED with apples. Scott's mom said she has a great filling recipe that's wonderful for pies and crisps and such. I'm also thinking of getting a new dehydrator. We loved having one ages ago. Scott's parents borrowed it a while back and loved it until it stopped working. So now I need to find another one. Any recommendations?
I began reading a new book called Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life. It's very interesting. It really reinforces the benefits of buying food locally and eating what's in season. I'm thoroughly intrigued. I look at my cupboards and refrigerator and realize how poorly we eat and in addition, I don't have enough stored food to keep us from starving if "something" were to happen that made it impossible for us to get food. Although that's pretty unlikely I suppose, it would still feel good to be prepared. Not least of which, we'd benefit nutritionally!! (Disclaimer: some ideas presented are bit Liberal to me... but's it's still a wonderful read so far!)I've gone online and signed up for various seed catalogs. I'm particularly interested in heirloom seeds. I'm excited to see what's available and begin to plan next year's garden. Right now, our garden has tomatoes, bell peppers, hot peppers, onions, beets, carrots, radishes, cucumbers and squash. The neighbors are already looking forward to homemade salsa. Yum! My herb garden is home to chives, cilantro, sage, horseradish, and several varieties of thyme and mint. I have tons of lovely Catnip for Sundae. She loves it fresh from the garden. I need to get some more basil. For some reason, the varieties I've chosen in the past don't make it through winter.
Also on the agenda will be trips to the local Farmer's Market. I'm looking forward to the adventure. ;)
In other news, we have the sweetest little Barn Swallow nest under our deck. I'm amazed at how the little birds build their nests. They are so delicate, but so sturdy. The Barn Swallow parents fly around and swoop Bandit when we let her out. So, I try to keep her to the front yard. I love to hear their little chattering. They make an interesting little clicking noise that's so distinct. Sometimes, the Tree Swallows come around, too. But I haven't seen them this year yet.
Well, that's all for now.
Happy Monday!
Hugs,
Dana
2 comments:
When you said catnip and Sundae I thought you put catnip on your ice cream sundaes! LOL!!!! Now I get it.
LOL Tracy is funny eh!!
You've been tagged on my blog ;)
Post a Comment