Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Yippee... I have Arthritis!

A very mild case in my lumbar spine... but that's it. My MRI's showed no cancer. THANK GOSH! :)

I also had a quick telephone conversation with my Oncologist about my thoughts on having the Bilateral Mastectomy. He said he didn't think that from a Pathological perspective it was necessary. He said that basically my decision to have the surgery would be an emotional one and that if it would give me peace of mind, then it would be something to think about. Not exactly the same conclusion that my conversation with my Breast Surgeon came to.

There's just nothing cut and dry about my Breast Cancer experience. I don't want it to come back, I don't know why I got it in the first place and I don't know what to do other than "watch" and wait. That's kind of scary.

I think I'm going to do some more research on Fribrocystic changes and Ductal Hyperplasia without Atypia(Usual Ductal Hyperplasia). That's what the biopsy showed. See, once you get cancer, you start playing Doctor. It's one of the ways I'm able to feel a bit of control in a really out of control situation. From what I've read, Ductal Hyperplasia without Atypia increases one's chance of having breast cancer by 1.5-2X. That may seem like not much... but my odds of getting breast cancer in the first place were pretty slim, too.

For me, I think that risk reduction may be worth it. I know what it's like to be told "you have cancer" and how it wreaks havoc on families and sanity... I don't really want to subject my loved ones to more fears if I can do something to prevent it.

So... I have some thinking and reading to do. I might have to dig out Dr. Susan Love's book even though after I read some of it when I was first diagnosed, it frightened me so deeply I relegated it to the dark depths of my closet and vowed to never open it again.

Anyway, in a nutshell, I think I'm fine and relatively healthy. One day at a time... right?

Tomorrow, I'll try to post some of the fun things I've been up to lately. ;)

Hugs!
Dana

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

SO glad to read your post today, Dana. I can only imagine where your heart and mind are at this moment, trying to make a HUGE decision that benefits your and YOUR life. You are always in my prayers girl....every day. I hope you know that. I miss you tons! HUGS! Sonda

Melissa said...

The biopsy result is actually pretty good. The relative risk from hyperplasia with no atypia is not very high. It's a bit higher for atypical hyperplasia. My mom had that at one point.

We should chat sometime soon. I am still working these crazy hours, but I'm off on most Tuesdays and Thursdays during the day.

Lara said...

(sigh of relief)...i'm so glad that your MRI came out clean!!! good luck with the other tough decisions. peace of mind is worth more than anything though.

Tracy said...

I am relieved to read your post, athough it sounds as though your mind is spinning with choices. I think of you often!

Anonymous said...

Praise the Lord for the results of your MRI Dana!!! No cancer is Awesome!!! I will continue to lift you up in prayer & wishing you a peaceful decision on the other.

Sharon said...

Dana, I have another book to recommend if you have not already read it. It is: Living Through Breast Cancer by Carolyn M. Kaelin, M.D., M.P.H. She is the Director of the Breast Health Center at Brigham and Women's Hospital at Harvard Medical School. She had breast cancer herself at age 42. It is an excellent book.
Sharon

Sharyn said...

One day at a time sums it up perfectly...