Monday, April 21, 2008

Today it was 78 degrees! It was glorious! I'm so happy to welcome warm weather and get busy in the garden. I've got some Marigold's coming up an egg carton on my windowsill that will hopefully be able to be planted outside in a few weeks.

Here's a photo of the cute Momma Bunny that made her baby nest right outside my laundry room window. The babies were so cute! (Sorry... I didn't get a photo of them!) But oh... what an ordeal for me. One Friday morning about a week after finding the babies (who were likely only a week or so old) I had noticed that a bunny had been hit by a car within eyesight of the nest. I WAS TERRIFIED to say the least. I was so worried that it was my Momma Bunny so I began stalking the nest. On Sunday, I made a quick check of one of the babies and it appeared to be just fine. So I kind of figured that these weren't babies that hadn't been fed in 2 days... but I needed to be sure!

I placed sticks in perfect little stacks over the nest to try to see if they got disturbed when the Momma Bunny visited the nest to nurse. Mommas only visit the nest once or twice a day, between dusk and dawn, and only stay about 5 minutes so it's no easy task to catch her. After a weekend of stress, sticks and flour (to try to see bunny tracks) I finally saw the Momma Bunny on Monday morning. I was so relieved!

We have a Wildlife Rehabilitation Center about 45 minutes from me and I would have been able to take the babies there but I'm so glad I didn't have to. You always want to be sure that the babies are not being cared for because most of the time they are! Baby Bunnies are weaned at about 3-4 weeks and then they come out and start exploring the world. They may come back to the nest a few nights to sleep... but then they are gone. Mine... I'm so pleased... have left the nest! Yahoo.. I'm so thrilled. My husband, on the other hand... not so much because they eat all his plants. ;)

Anyway... a great resource for baby bunny info is Rabbit.org

On to craftiness... here are a few cards I've made lately. Just playing around and trying to be inspired. I love to be crafty but lately I've been a little less than creative so I'm trying to get my groove back.

Hugs,
Dana


















































1 comment:

Tracy said...

Dana, I'm so glad your bunnies are OK!

Your cards are so pretty. I've been feeling the itch to get creative again too.