While my snowflake craft project continues to dry.... it's taking forever... let's talk about Shopping.Or rather, not shopping. I have just begun my No Spending for One Year journey but it actually feels really great! I think I'm making strides and I've figured out a few things. Not really anything we haven't heard before... but worth sharing to give you pause to think.
It's really made me notice how much advertising there is on TV. It's even on crafty blogs I like to read. Everyone is trying to convince me to buy something, most often because they get a kickback for the referral or something. They get a free product and then try to convince others that they need it. It's usually quite subtle but it plays on our emotions as women who like to buy to be like the people we admire.
But no more... not for me! I'm just saying NO! NO! NO! NO! I do not want that thing! I do not need that thing! That thing does not fit into my ultimate goal to simplify my life and it definitely will not make me feel good in the long run.
Hubby and I watched Confessions of a Shopaholic on Netflix (30 day free trial!) this weekend. It was cute... but again... a reminder of why buying without purpose is a very bad thing. That initial high of finding a good deal is almost always followed by some guilt if the item was purchased impulsively and that adds more stress... which is what we are trying to avoid in the first place. It's NOT helping... no matter how much you try to convince yourself it is. It's not!
There's no question why we end up with such large donate piles when we finally decide we have too much stuff. It's sad really. Why didn't we just say no and not buy that thing in the first place. Basically, we buy something to "store" in our home because we might need it someday. Someday never comes and we never really need it... and then we figure out that we have WAY TOO MANY someday items and they've got to go.
Think of all the money you spent on things you didn't really need that you ended up giving away. Wouldn't it be nice to have that money in your savings account waiting to be used on something you really need?
Here are some questions to ask yourself before you buy something:
- Is this something I really need?
- Do I already own something that could serve the same purpose?
- Can I borrow one or make one instead of buying this new?
- Will it serve more than one purpose?
- Is it made well enough to last a useful length of time?
- Will it be easy to maintain?
- Where will I put it?
♥Don't go to the store without a purpose and a list. Stick to your list!
♥Don't be influenced by what others have. You're special even if you don't have the latest mascara.
♥Live within your means and stick to your budget.
♥Save money for a rainy day.
♥Always remember how hard you worked to earn that dollar and then decide if you really want to spend it on something that you'll just end up giving away in a year.
Ladies, Just say NO!

1 comment:
You are so right... Don't buy it unless you NEED it and have a use for it right now. After this weekend, I will be adopting your no spending policy, but can I cheat just a little and buy a CAR?? I kinda need one!
Post a Comment