On the no spending front things are going well. It helps to just stay home. I'm not much of an internet shopper so the web is a pretty safe place for me. I love to browse Etsy though. It's full of wonderful goodies. I love to see what other people are creating and get ideas for things I can do with what I have.
A few weekends (maybe 3?) ago we had our first snow. Hubby and I stayed in our PJ's almost the entire time. I worked on my snowflakes (more on that later), made a pumpkin pie from scratch (I baked a real pumpkin first!) and generally just puttered around.
It was wonderful. Home is the best place in all the world. The only thing missing is my Sailor but he's off making us proud by spreading his wings. We just miss him a lot.
The Pumpkin Pie recipe I used was from Window on the Prairie. I had to cook mine longer than the time suggested (maybe 15- 20 mins or so before the toothpick stuck in would come out clean) and then pray it would set up a bit firmer. Maybe I should have used another egg? I'm not real sure what the consistency should have been when I started. Mine was pretty runny! Once refrigerated it was great though! I used fresh nutmeg that my mother in law gave me and seriously.... wow... I think it was awesome! I've never made a pie crust from scratch and it shrunk up a bit, but it still tasted good. I need some practice with crust making. I'm a long way from being good at it! We topped it with homemade whipped cream, too!
I've found it really neat to have heavy cream on hand in the fridge. It's useful in a lot of things from creamy soups and sauces to desserts. I'm really excited about learning for myself what staples I should have in my pantry at all times. It's good to know what I'll actually use.
Being frugal and choosing to spend my money thoughtfully is very interesting and fun to me. Hey, I'm a Virgo, we get excited about these kinds of things! It feels good to save instead of feeling guilty for buying something I don't really need in the first place. How old am I? Better late than never, right?
Snowflakes! I decided to just hot glue them onto a canvas I had laying round. They look cuter in person I think! I feel like it needs something else. I had wanted to write or paint the words let it snow on the canvas but I got scared and decided not to do it for fear of completely wrecking it. So... I left it alone.
It's hanging above my bathroom toilet... I spared you that vision! ;)

3 comments:
mmmmm... pumpkin pie is a favorite of mine! wishing for some right now. Your snowflakes project looks pretty. :)
So cute!! Great job. I like the snowflakes, they turned out great and look at all that snow!
I miss your blog! I hope you're keeping warm. I see you sent your frigid temps my way. lol
Post a Comment